Monday, May 12, 2008

Scones


The following is a scone recipe that I got from Sis. A, its the best one I have been able to find as I have been searching and trying different recipes for several years. These are quite good and very easy to make, A couple of notes, I doubled this recipe as these tend to get eaten pretty quick, the refrigeration is not necessary but I find it makes the dough easier to handle, I used a pizza cutter to slice and the lid to my vanilla jar to cut the holes, holes are not needed either but it makes them easier to turn over as they tend to get top heavy without. I also had a problem getting the oil at just the right temp, I still don't have it perfect but I am getting there, these were cooked in a shallow cast iron skillet at medium on my electric stove, I did notice Cindi had better luck with getting the right temp, she uses gas, but then that might not have anything to do with it as Cindi IS a better cook then I am.
Scones
Combine 1TBS Yeast and
1/4 C. Water set aside
In mixing bowl add
1/4 C. Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 C. Shortening
Mix then add
1 beaten Egg
Add 1/2 C. Water and Yeast mixture
Add 2 1/4 C. Flour
Knead and then let rise one hour in a warm place
Refrigerate 1-2 hours
Beat down and roll out 1/4 inch cut and fry

No comments: